My Big Fat Greek Year Abroad

Monday, July 17, 2006

Hello again!
OK, so it's hot now. REALLY hot. We had a thunderstorm the other day but it seemed to clear the air to let the sun through rather than clear the air to cool it.
The flat is mine. Or at least, it's mine as soon as the previous resident moves out. She was due to move out on 15th June, but this is Greece so there's no hurry... Still YAY! The family took me to a little village festival up in the mountains yesterday where they showed off their traditional threshing, bread-baking and cheese-making skills and then played lots of folk music, drank, danced and handed out a chunk of bread, a slab of cheese and a hunk of pig to everyone present, all before 11.30am. What fun.
I was also taken to meet my host's parents; they've lived in the same place all their lives in one of the oldest parts of the city down a tiny alley. Their home consists of a single room including a bed, a small table and 2 chairs, 2 camping-gas rings and an air-conditioning unit. They're a lovely pair and 'Yiayia' (Grandma) produces copious amounts of very good food for any mouths that turn up at the door.
So, statistics so far:
-Swims: 3 (There is a female Greek obsession with counting how many swims you've had each summer as if it gave a direct indication of your fitness.)
-Mosquito bites: Miraculously, only 3. Or perhaps it's due to the very effective mosquito nets on all the windows. I think and hope I have some in my flat.
-Members of host's extended family I have been introduced to, including my future landlord: 6- I can't remember most of their names, but I'm fairly safe if I call the men Costas and the women Xeni...
-Number of times I've been asked why on earth I'm learning Greek/ told that spending a year away from home when I'm 'so young' is a 'very brave thing to do': I've lost count. Greek children still live with their parents until they marry. They maintain this tradition despite the fact that they've abandoned the tradition of marrying at 16 so lots of 'children' still live with their parents well into their late 20s or even 30s. Or at least in the same city so they can send their washing home and take advantage of their mother's cooking.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Cecily - nice to hear that things are going so well....a whole house - i am jealous (however you spell that) our one, mouldy shower, between 7, is proving a problem!

My work is easy as there isn't much to do (hence writing this at work!) and so i'm learnign lots about the internet, you can keep yourself entertained for hours! Thankfully.

I hope that the sae if nice and cool, and that the air conditioning arrives (what's the coolest time of year to come and visit?!).

Do let me have your address when you have it - things to post.....

Hopefully hear from you soon,

Love Jojo

11:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cecily! Sounds like you're having a great time- I'm v jealous! Now all I need to hear is that this music college exists, that they have a viola teacher, that they've heard of you and that they're prepared to teach you and then we'll all be dandy!

I'll do my best to come crash on your floor for a bit... I'd better learn some Greek!

Loads and loads of love,
Julia xxx

2:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Cecily,

wow, its sounding amazing so far, I know its a bit of a recurring theme but I too am jealous! Hope all goes well with the flat and that you are able to move in soon, the Greek way of life sounds so relaxed!

Hope you carry on having fun and I look forward to reading more posts,
Chris

5:20 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Hurrah for blogs!! Do you fancy linking mine from yours? It's www.theannieblog.blogspot.com …my computer's broken at the moment (gah!) but i'll pop a link to yours on mine as soon as I get a decent amount of time online! Glad to hear it's all going well, it's roasting here too (35ish) if that's any consolation ;-) big hugs xxxx

12:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Cecily,
Que bien tener noticias tuyas y que además sean tan buenas. Por lo que dices Kalamata parece un pueblo encantador y la gente muy amable y acogedora. Me alegro que ya casi tengas piso (por fin!) y nada menos que en primera linia de mar! Espero que puedas sobrevivir a los calores... y a tantas buenas comidas! Si las yayas griegas són como las espanyolas nunca van a parar de llenarte el plato! Que disfrutes de las visitas, el mar, la gente i sobretodo... los ice-creams!
Besos,
Marta
PD: Esto del blog es una passada, que buena idea, me tendre que agenciar uno, jejeje.

12:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my gorgeous CJ,

Wow, your new life in Greece seems wonderful, especially your flat you lucky thing, how did you get that?! I hope it's not too hot for you (although it's not much different here, currently 34c outside!) and your air-conditioning arrives soon. It seems so wierd you are going to live there for a whole year, I envy you - after 2 weeks at home, I wonder why I missed it, and long for independence again!
Anyway, this is getting too long, it was just to aimlessly babble anyway....
Love you lots, miss you more!

H x

1:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kiki,

Hello!! It sounds like it's all fallen in to place and you're having an amazing time! Stay in touch and I'll try calling later. I think I need a blog for when I'm in Kenya! Inpired! Love you and miss you loads.

Gemma

12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home